How to Choose a Reliable Water Heater Leak Detection System
January 3, 2020 at 2:41:00 PM PST January 3, 2020 at 2:41:00 PM PSTrd, January 3, 2020 at 2:41:00 PM PST
As commercial property trends toward proactive management strategies, water heater leak detection systems have become increasingly popular – with many options flooding the marketplace.You recognize the benefits of leak detection, but how do you choose the right solution to protect your buildings? If you want to monitor water heaters that are often hidden from everyday view, notification and automatic water shut-off systems offer a much more dependable solution than a simple audible alarm.
Now we’re getting somewhere. But what good is a leak detection system if it doesn’t deliver when you actually need it? Failure of the actuator to close the water supply valve or downtime due to a “stuck valve” that can’t be reset can turn a minor leak into a major disaster. You need a system you can rely on.
All of RDT’s FloodMaster series of dedicated-use leak detection systems are built from commercial-grade components, with a reputation for reliable operation that goes back more than a decade. There’s a reason our RS-094 water heater leak detection kit is one of our most popular offerings – it’s easy to install, easy to operate, and reliable as they come.
- Our gear-driven valve actuator is more reliable than a spring-driven actuator, which is susceptible to failure from mineral buildup over time.
- Our unique water leak sensor fits nicely in the pan or on the floor under the tank. It features a 1/16” stand-off to allow for air circulation and eliminate false alarms caused by humidity from the floor.
- The RS-094’s self-contained actuator/alarm board snap-fit directly onto the water heater supply line, with less connection points for potential failure.
- Shutoff valves are available in a variety of sizes, from 1/2″ to 1-1/4″ diameter.
- FloodMaster actuators do not require spare/replacement parts.
- FloodMaster products are made entirely of corrosion- and lead-free materials that meet U.S. EPA Safe Drinking Water Standards.
If you want to be instantly notified of any water heater leak, the RS-094 features dry contacts to hook into your building automation system. App-based smartphone notifications can also be sent with wireless technology add-ons.
If your building has water heaters or tanks in hidden plenum spaces, or if you require hard-wiring to meet electrical code, that presents a whole other set of challenges. RDT offers the industry’s only plenum-rated leak detection kits featuring step-down transformers and plenum-rated wiring.
If you have additional code or application requirements, we can help. From rope-style sensors for low-profile tanks to the components needed to shut down gas flow or power in the event of a leak, our unique modified kits make it easy to satisfy the most common installations. If you don’t see what you need here, contact us – most of these modifications started as custom solutions for commercial leak detection customers.